Friday, May 11, 2012

in other news

I've been hesitant to write about Cale's health as of late, mainly because I don't want to jinx anything, but I figure it's time to put something positive and hopeful out there seeing that I am generally a very positive and hopeful person, despite the main content of my blog.  I tend to put voice to the thoughts and emotions I rarely let anyone see or know about in this space as a way of 'getting it out'.  Sometimes my husband and closest friends have no idea what I'm thinking until they read this, if they read this, and so one might assume I'm perpetually sad or cynical but nothing could be further from the truth.  I am joyful, happy, always seeing my cup as half full, and more often content rather than discontent.  Surprised?

So here's to voicing the positive and hopefulness of my life as of late.

Cale is doing, <gulp>, well.  I feel like I need to whisper those words so as not to jinx anything.  Alex and I have exchanged those words only a handful of times because we know that like with most things about Cale, it could change in a matter of minutes.  BUT, ever since we switched Cale over to nighttime feedings he has seemed more comfortable throughout the day, more able to play without pain, and is without a doubt more active than before.  He spends most of his day playing with his sister rather than laying on the floor and just seems plain happy.  It's been a joy to experience this change in him and even though having him tube fed during the night isn't our ideal, it's working for him and we're just rolling with it.  I've been able to stop myself from worrying about the future and how we're going to get rid of that stupid pump and it's truly let me relax and remain relatively stress free.  It's been amazing.

We've also seen an improvement in his oral eating and I love having to tell him to stay out of the pantry!  He loves pretzels and will sneak them all day long if I'm not watchful.  Who knew I would have to tell him 'no' to food?!

Also, I may have forgot to mention a rather large change that happened in our lives a few months ago.  My dad found himself looking for a new job after an unexpected and sudden change with his employer of over twenty years.  His job search landed him a new and better position...in Texas!  So after the quick sale of my childhood home and lots of work on my mom's part they up and moved to Beaumont, TX.  I was initially very sad that they would be so far away and seemingly not as involved in the growing up of my children's lives, but I've since regained a tremendous amount of peace with their move and am happy for their new adventure.  Texas will not be forever, or so I tell them.

With that said and out of the way, I am surprising Cale with a trip to see them over Memorial Day weekend.  For those of you that know Cale you know that he absolutely loves airplanes and airports, almost as much as he loves my parents, and he asks about going to Texas to see them on a near regular basis.  Alex has been traveling quite a bit for work over the last few months which has left me alone with the kids more often than I would like, and so I am so excited for the break and change of pace.  I initially was going to fly down there by myself and have a true mini vacation, but something inside of me made me want to bring Cale along for the journey.  I am very much looking forward to having some one-on-one time with my favorite oldest boy and surprising him with this trip is going to be priceless!  I haven't figured out the details of how I'm going to share the news with him but I do know that he won't know until a day or two before we leave because otherwise he will drive me CRAZY!  He tends to ask the same question over and over and over and over again, and I just know he would ask me how long until we leave at least a hundred times a day.  It's best that we just leave it as a surprise. :)  I can't wait to see my parents again and see their new life.

Riley and Cash often get neglected in this space and I tend to believe no news is good news, but I realize some of you may wonder what's going on with them.  Cash is going to be ten months old tomorrow and the days are ticking by until Riley will turn four in July.  I can't believe how fast the time is going!  They are best pals and no one can make Cash smile like Riley can.  Every afternoon, without fail, Riley will hear Cash stirring after waking up from his nap and she will go into his room, shut the door, and I will hear squeals and giggles for the next half hour.  I would love to be a fly on the wall and see what they do in there!  Cash remains incredibly laid back and is one of the happiest babies I know while Riley gives me more of a run for my money.  She's opinionated, dramatic, and thinks she's wiser far beyond her years but deep down has a very tender heart.  She's shy in a large group of kids but definitely has her BFF's.  She loves to learn and continues to be one of Cale's strongest advocates.  She knows all of his signs and often interprets to us what he's saying when we can't figure it out!  I can only hope Cash picks up on sign language as quickly as she did.  With these three kids our family is complete, and even though life is incredibly busy and chaotic I wouldn't change a thing.

I really wouldn't.

Life is good.








No comments: