Friday, November 26, 2010

In the blink of an eye

Facebook has the uncanny ability to flash pictures across my screen, reminding me of good times gone and times I wish for again.  Most of the pictures I'm talking about are the ones of our vacation to Cabo earlier this year, but occasionally I see older pictures of when my kids were babies.  I see those tiny faces and all of a sudden I'm clicking through hundreds of pictures, tears welling up in my eyes, and wishing for them to be that small again, even if it was just for one day.  When did I become this person?

Pictures of Cale usually drudge up painful memories and remind me of how hard things were when he was smaller, but occasionally I'll come across a photo of him sitting up for the first time or taking his first steps and I immediately become all weepy and wish for time to slow down.  Pretty soon he'll be marching off to kindergarten and it'll be the beginning of the end.

The pictures of Riley as an infant are usually the sure-fire ones to bring tears to my eyes.  I have no idea how I kept calm when I realized I was pregnant with her before Cale even turned one, but I didn't know any different so I was naive and just thought, "hey, we're gonna have another baby!".  Complete craziness.  When she was born, and I could escape from all the worry of whether or not she was going to be a normal developing child, she introduced immediate joy to our lives.  She was always the prime subject of laughter and lightheartedness.  I know God gave her to us for many perfect reasons, most of which we have yet to discover, but I'm pretty sure his main purpose in those early months was to lighten us up so Alex and I didn't become permanent, dull pessimists.  How could any one person not be happy when they're around Riley?  She truly has grown from an infant to a young girl in just the blink of an eye.  Why couldn't have time moved this fast when I was younger and waiting for Christmas to arrive?

We are celebrating Cale's fourth birthday with all of his friends tomorrow.  We rented a big slide and are having his party up at our church.  I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking trying to organize a birthday party right after hosting Thanksgiving, but hopefully the small details I've forgotten will be overlooked once I see how happy Cale is when he lays his eyes on the slide.  He's going to be in heaven!  I can't believe my little three-pound baby boy is going to be four years old.  When I open my eyes again he's going to be asking his dad for the keys to the car.  Oy, oy, oy!

No comments: