Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bedtime Stories

First off I would just like to say a little something about my previous post.  Someone, somewhere, must have said a prayer for me because ever since I wrote it I have felt absolutely marvelous!  I've had several moments with my husband and kids over the past couple of days that make me just sit back and smile, feeling so incredibly thankful for the life God has given me.  So if someone is reading this that prayed for me, I'd just like to personally thank you.  God does answer prayers.

Okay, so while I was in Seattle with Cale for his doctors appointments and Alex was back home with Riley, they developed an adorable bedtime routine that has slowly, but forcefully, leaked over into our whole family's bedtime routine.  While away, Alex and Riley would get into their pajamas, fill a cup of milk for Riley, and then head upstairs to our bedroom with a handful of books.  They climbed into our bed, got under all the covers and read book after book, after book.  This is slightly different from the routine we had before because we would still get into our pajamas and still drink a cup of milk, but we would stay downstairs and read books on the couch.  We still try and do that but Riley throws one of her inevitable tantrums and says, "bed, Bed, BED" until we get the hint and lug both kids, plus ten or more books up the stairs and jump into our bed, get under all the covers, and read until all our eyes are heavy.  I have a feeling that this routine won't die out any time soon and I must say, I'm rather taken with it.

Laying in bed with my whole family and seeing the joy the kids get out of being able to be in "Mommy's" and "Daddy's" bed is just enough to make a momma want to cry.  I love these moments, and when all the books have been read and Alex and I each take a kid to their bedroom, we meet back in our bed and smile, so grateful for the two amazing children God has gifted to us.

I'm glad our evenings, like the ones I describe above, have been ending well because it's a sure bet that the morning won't involve that much joy.  Riley has taken to 'hating' putting on clothes.  She will cry and cry and cry until I finally cave in and let her run around naked.  Anybody else out there dealing with a toddler that loathes clothes?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

So So Sweet :) Love, Mom