Saturday, April 3, 2010

Fishing!

Thanks to me, my wonderful husband is on a guided fly fishing trip down the Bitterroot River as we speak.  He was so deserving of something like this and so earlier this week I called my father-in-law and begged him to take my husband away for a day.  Turns out it didn't require much begging and he called me the next day and told me what he had planned for the two of them.  Alex isn't much of a fisherman but he's never fly fished before and so I think he may come home hooked.  No pun intended. :)  

I sadly don't think I give my husband enough credit most of the time.  I'm incredibly thankful for him and I think I have a pretty realistic grasp on all that he does for our family, but I know for a fact that my attitude and my words don't always reflect that.  He's one of the most hard working individuals I know and even if his boss tells him he can have a day off, to me I know that means he might be home ten minutes earlier than normal.  He works incredibly hard and holds himself to such a high standard.  After putting in a full day at work, he willingly chooses to shake off whatever stresses he has at work and leaves them at the office, allowing him to just be a husband and a father, rather than a husband and a father who is consumed with whatever happened at work earlier in the day.  He immediately helps me with the kids, is interested in what happened in my day, and the phrase, "what can I do to help you around the house" is even muttered a couple times a week.  He truly is selfless and more than I could have ever hoped for in a husband and a father to my kids.

With that said, work has been extraordinarily stressful this year.  Our home life has been up and down with the kids being sick, us being sick, and the emotional tiredness we both experience every day with Cale, and the stress of trying to buy and sell a house.  It takes a great amount of effort on both of our parts to see the glass half full most of the time.  Alex, in my opinion, is the glue that holds all of us sanely together. :)  

So I sent him fishing.  It's only a day trip and I know that it's not going to take away anything that awaits him at home and work, but he deserves a day away from me and the kids.  Plus, he's with his dad and if you've never had the pleasure of meeting Rick Burkhalter, he's a true gem and someone who can definitely bring life to a party.  I'm sure they're having a blast and I can't wait to hear all about it when he gets home. 


No comments: