Thursday, April 22, 2010

MRI Day!

Tomorrow morning we will check into the hospital at 6:15 am.  Yuck.  Cale is scheduled to have an MRI done on his brain, along with some blood work testing and a muscle biopsy.  Double Yuck.  

Cale had an MRI when he was about six months old and during our most recent visit to Seattle Children's Hospital, the neurologist suggested that we do another one since he's now three and a half years old.  The first MRI came back "within normal limits", meaning 'I have no idea what that means'.  The radiologist that read the results noticed some abnormalities but all of them were "within normal limits".  I suppose my brain or your brain could also have some abnormalities but since not every person gets an MRI, we would never know.  That's how I choose to look at it anyway.  

I'm not necessarily nervous about or worried that they will find something different from the original results, but I am nervous about Cale being under anesthesia.  He's been under it before - three times to be exact - and has done fine every time, but there's just something about watching your baby drift off to never-never-land that leaves me feeling uneasy.  I'm also wondering about the muscle biopsy.  It was explained to me in terms like "they will take a chunk of muscle out of his leg and then sew him back up".  What exactly does that mean?  Will he be in pain or in some sort of recovery period for a lengthy amount of time?  Oh well, I'm sure everything will be fine.  No good will come from worrying about it.  

I hate that we have to do this.  I hate that Cale has to go through this.  However, the pre-surgery nurse did say that when he wakes up tomorrow he will most likely be looking for his mom.  I will definitely be looking forward to that! :)

I will update how things went, as well as the results, as soon as I can.  


No comments: